Monday, February 28, 2011

On the subject of laundry....

I'm not going to say we have a small house (as to not get people with smaller house's tighty whities in a bunch) but let's just say we use EVERY square inch of it. Though we use all of our square footage possible, I really dislike clutter, so organization is a must! 

My laundry room-aka my office-is only about 40 square feet, yet is where I spend a great deal of time.  It's near the door out to the garage so it doubles as a mud room.  In order to make the most of the small space, we stacked our washer and dryer and put cupboards and shelves everywhere we possibly could. My suggestion to y'all, is to think outside of the box when utilizing space.  Here are some pics of my laundry room/office....


Here's one angle of the room.  Here you can see my w/d stacked with shelves on the side (handily installed by my hubby), and laundry sorting cart below.   Above the shelves and w/d, are cupboards that span the small wall. I keep a stool in the room to reach items in the cupboards, or to perch upon when my kids, or myself, need a "time out".  Haha!! Not kidding.



To the right of the w/d are floor to ceiling shelves-somewhat hidden behind door from this angle. (Also lovingly installed by my hubby.)





The shelves house many-a-things from winter gear hidden in baskets, clothes to mend, shoes shoes and more shoes, weight scale (that I sometimes muster up the courage to get on), etc.....



Behind the door next to the shelves are hooks holding our jackets, backpacks, church bags, hats, etc...
*Notice to the left of the jackets on the side of the shelves, we've installed a school type pencil sharpener, and hung our dust buster, as well. Told you NO square footage goes unused!!



On the same wall as the door, across from laundry sorter, is a shelf to hang-dry clothes.



Here are adjoining shelves above the door to maximize storage space.  With the use of my handy-dandy stool, I can get whatever I need up there in a snap!
*I was afraid the shelf would look weird sticking out above the door as you approached it from outside the laundry room, but it really doesn't.  I kinda like it actually!



Last but not least, we chose to use a Travertine tile in neutral tones because it was the most practical option.  Though my first choice aesthetically, would have been white honeycomb tiles, or black slate, I'm glad we went with this flooring.  Being that the room doubles as a mud room (name says it all), practicality won.  


1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm very impressed what you've done with that laundry room! its hard to believe what you've done with such a small space! good job! I can't wait to come and do laundry.....Ur, uh....I mean come and see it :) Love the stacked w/d. Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete