Tuesday, February 15, 2011

cozy scarf-throw

Thinking outside the box...

I kinda have an obsession with throw blankets (and pillows, picture frames, etc).  Unfortunately, I often find the perfect fabric in the form of a purse, hat, scarf, etc.  It drives me bonkers! Consequently, I've learned to think outside the box in order to get the look I desire.

I searched high and low for the perfect throw blanket, when I stumbled upon none other than what I had been envisioning, but in the form of a dang scarf!!  I decided to buy the whole lot of them and make my throw blanket (well, actually two of them-just couldn't get enough of it!). 

Here's the result..........              

Love me a knit throw (especially a mustard colored one with rad pom-pom tassels)!  Problem is I don't knit, or sew much for that matter!

Any-hoo, here's how I turned the scarves into the perfect throw.....

I simply lined up two of the scarves and hand stitched them together on the back side, with matching thread and a long sturdy needle.  I then kept adding scarf-strips until I had the desired size I wanted (in this case, I used 5 scarves per blanket).

Here's a close up of the underside stitching...

I chose to hand sew the scarves together, but I'm sure a skilled sewer could whip this up on the sewing     machine in no time.  I, personally, enjoyed the down time where I could sit and watch a show while I mindlessly sewed the scarves together (though, it did take several hours to do it this way).

* This was not a cheap project by the time I bought all the scarves, but well worth the splurge. This may not be a realistic project for you, but more than anything, I hope to get you thinking outside of the box.

Here's an example of an inexpensive, fun, ruffled apron that I turned into a throw pillow...



2 comments:

  1. Wow. yep. That's all I can say about that. maybe I'll get some skills from basking in the glow of your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the results- super cool. I love that bird pillow too

    ReplyDelete