Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Combining two frames+cool kid art=one rad look

Combining two frames+cool kid art=one rad look!I had two frames that I loved, but couldn't quite figure out what to do with. I combined two frames and ended up with a fun frame with lots of depth. Here's how I did it.....

What you'll need:
-Two frames (one large, one small-er)
-hammer
-4 small nails
-nails/screws to hang finished frame
-sand paper
-paint brush
-paint
-simple picture hanging kit (frame prob already has existing)

First step....
The small frame had mirror glass in it that I had to take out. A typical frame will have clear glass, which will be perfect for the art or picture of your choosing.
In this case, I used two different sized, identical frames. I think it would be fun to use mismatching frames, as well. I love mixing styles, and this would be a fun way to do so. The only must, is that the smaller of the two frames covers and overlaps the opening of the larger frame. (Overlapping them a bit is going to be what gives the frame depth-setting it apart from your average frame.)

Second step....

Place smaller frame centered between larger frame opening. Hammer small nails into corners of small frame-attaching it to large frame. You can then putty nail holes and paint over top, though because I was going for a rustic look, I chose not to putty the nails. You can also use liquid nails (comes in caulking tube at home improvement store) applied on underside of smaller frame to reinforce, if you'd like. (I chose not to for mine.)

Third step....

Sand lightly over newly constructed frame (not necessary to completely remove finish-just enough to take off existing sheen. Paint, newly constructed frame, the color of your choosing. Sand for distressed look, or leave as is for a cleaner look. I love both! Let dry.

Fourth step....

Insert art or photo into frame opening, then you're ready to hang! Hang on existing hooks (if it doesn't have hooks, you can buy simple picture hanging kits at home improvement store).



Here are a few pics of my finished project....

Before.....boring!!! After.....

This project took under an hour to do (not including paint drying time), and look how neato it is!!

Doooo iiiiit.....I dare you!!

2 comments:

  1. Neato, indeed! What frames were these before? I recognize the mirror that was hanging in front of your stairs, right? Which was the smaller frame? Crazy how your brain works! I would never in a bazillion years think of doing this, but I love that you did! Good work, Louise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon Louise! you are so talented!! I love your blog! keep it up and hopefully we will learn something!

    ReplyDelete