Friday, February 18, 2011

Ian's "in touch" ways.....

Ian.....my burly little guy who looks all boy (well, except for the high heels he's usually struttin' in, with a purse on his shoulder, and a baby doll in tow).  So big deal, you may say....  I certainly realize this can be a normal phase little boys go through-something I've never discouraged with mine.  Problem is, he seems to be taking it to another level.  For instance, he'd MUCH prefer to watch a girly movie to a boyish one, and MUCH prefer to dance like a ballerina than rough house, or play dress up to cars any day. 

It's come to be a joke amongst those closest to us.  We'll be playing at a friends house when, without fail, Ian will emerge in a princess dress-jewelery and all. 

Now, with all that being said, I am ALL for a well rounded dude.  After all, well rounded, is often how I proudly describe my hubby.  He's naturally athletic, yet is brilliant at tickling the ivories!  He's into the arts, and was the proud Drama Club President in high school (said with my head held high). He enjoys hanging with his buddies and getting the testosterone flowing with the all-too-macho UFC, yet doesn't bat an eye at hangin' with me and my girlfriends.  All great qualities in my book.  However, I just can't help but feel like my lil' Ian is tipping the estrogen scale a bit. 

I've never been one to adhere to the ol' classic nursery rhyme about boys being made of snips and snails and puppy dog tails, and girls of sugar and spice and everything nice (as to imply that boys are all things rough and tumble and girls are, well....all things nice).  We're not all that cut and dry, and by golly shouldn't be, but come on!!!

Now, this isn't something I'm yet to lose sleep over, and can still see the humor in-even find it a bit endearing.  On a selfish note, Ian's "in touch" ways could bode well for me.  He could be my personal shopper and stylist, we could have lunch dates and chat about frills and fluff, but the truth of the matter is, in the future, his punk peers may not find it to be quite as endearing as I do.  

I do realize he's a bit young to come to a determination as to who he will grow to be, and I may have nothing to fret over. If truth be told, at the end of the day, I will embrace WHOMEVER/HOWEVER he turns out to be.

2 comments:

  1. he is so freaking yummy. can't go wrong in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! WHOMEVER/HOWEVER he turns out to be. don't worry! Just remember Mark and his famous line in that one play....."How lovely to be a woman" :)) and Mark is fine. Well, maybe we should define, "fine". Hmmmmmm......
    So glad Ian's starting to feel better.

    ReplyDelete